Monday, December 10, 2012

Nature is Fascinating!!!!!!


 
It’s Monday, which means, that we have our scheduled Monday morning Doctors meeting. This is a meeting where we discuss schedule changes, specific cases, and other various veterinary topics. I work in a 5 veterinarian clinic. Currently Dr. Shelly is on maternity leave, which leaves Dr. Erin, Dr. Sonya, Dr. Melissa and I to share emergency duties. Unlike many small animal veterinary clinics, which utilize an “Emergency Clinic,” large animal veterinary clinics provide emergency services to their clients 24/7/365. Dr. Sonya was on call for the weekend, and was called for a calving this morning at 6:30am, therefore having to miss our Monday morning meeting.  

When we are called to “calvings”, it means that for some reason, the cow is having difficulty having the calf and the farmer has tried to assist, but feels that it is beyond their scope of experience.  When we arrive at the farm, we want to be as clean as possible and assess the situation. Using a disinfectant, we wash the cow’s vagina and then put on a shoulder-length glove to ensure we do not introduce any bacteria into the birth canal. Dr. Sonya noticed that in this particular case, she was feeling two noses.  After much discussion with the farmer, they decided on a performing a C-section. I was called into assist with the surgery as it is very difficult to pull a 100 pound calf out of a 1200 pound cow, while she is standing up.

The cow was sedated, clipped, surgically scrubbed, and blocked (aka numbed) with lidocaine so she did not feel the incision. One of the hardest parts of the surgery is to get the uterus over to the incision site without intestines and the stomach getting in the way.  We really try to minimize the amount of amniotic fluid that enters the abdomen of the cow, so we try to exteriorize the uterus as much as possible.  Bloody picture coming, if you have a weak stomach!!!!!

Normally a calf comes out with both front feet and the head first. Kind of like diving into a pool… That being said, when we do a C-section, we are searching for the back legs of the calf.  We found the back leg of the calf, opened the uterus and then pulled the calf out of our incision by both back legs.  The calf was normal up until the neck. IT HAD TWO HEADS!!!!!  And was ALIVE!!!!
 
There were two mouths, 4 eyes, but only 2 ears.  This is another genetic anomaly. There is no hormones, or antibiotics or any "drug" we give to cows that causes this. We don’t really know why it happens, but our thought is that the fetus started to split into twins, as an embryo, but never finished.  Many times, these anomalies die and are reabsorbed by the cow, before even coming close to full term. This calf was still alive, which is unusual.  The head was really heavy and he was unable to hold his head up. Calves are precocious animals, therefore can see, hold their head up and walk within minutes of being born.

 The farmer was going to try to feed it with a bottle to see which mouth it could drink out of. It apparently could drink out of the right side. Usually there is really only one truly functional side.  Based on the difficulty of being able to hold his head up and therefore walking, and future issues with balance, eating and overall survivability; this calf will be humanely euthanized.  Mom is doing fine and as you can see in the pictures, is resting comfortably next to her baby.  These occurrences are few and far between. Some people think I’m crazy, but I do find these anomalies so cool!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at that concentration! Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( sorry about this one. You are amazing, though, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for making the right choice by contacting Dr. Irosi who helped me in getting my ex back by casting a love spell on him. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr. Irosi to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr. Irosi because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr. Irosi on his Email Address [drirosisolutioncenter@gmail.com], call or whatsapp him via his contact +2348118829771 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr. Irosi for your great work.  

    ReplyDelete








  4. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346























    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete