Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"An apple a day....."

Fall in the Northeast is probably my favorite time of year. The red, orange, yellow and gold colors are abundant and make the scenery even more beautiful than it already is. Dunkin Donuts has pumpkin donuts, pumpkin coffee and pumpkin muffins and the fresh apple cider can’t be beat!!! Along with the fresh cider is an abundance of fresh apples to make pies, apple crisp, applesauce… and the list of my favorites goes on.

We’ve all heard the saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”  As much as I love apples, cows tend to love apples too.  Unfortunately, when cows try to eat apples, it’s more of a request for a visit from the doctor than it is to keep her away….. 

I’ve had two calls in the last week from clients that thought their cow was not eating or drinking, was coughing and acting “off.”  The most recent call was much more emergent in the fact that the farmer brought the cow in from pasture and she was extremely bloated. The owner thought he felt something hard in the cow’s throat, but wasn’t really sure if it was real.  When I arrived I found #100 lying down, very uncomfortable, with an extremely distended abdomen, cold ears and obviously in distress. 

Severe Rumen Bloat
As I’ve discussed before, when a cow bloats, it causes severe pressure on their diaphragm and lungs and prevents them from breathing easily and efficiently.  As you can see from the picture, she was severely distended, so my first order of business was to relieve the bloat and allow her to actually be able to catch a breath.  In order to relieve her bloat, I placed a red trocar in the rumen as I have also discussed in a previous post. Once the bloat was relieved, and she was able to take a breath, I was able to examine the rest of her.  As I was looking at #100 I was asking the farmer if he had any apple trees in the pasture.  His response was “yeah a pile of them.” 

The obstruction visible in the shaved area
Feeling the cow’s neck, I was able to palpate a large baseball size lump, about half way down her neck.   I was pretty positive she tried to eat an apple and she ended up swallowing it whole and was now choking on it.  Because cows do not have upper incisors, they can’t just bite into part of an apple. Usually they end up putting the entire apple in their mouth and then try to bite it with their molars. If the apple is hard it may not break and can shoot directly down their throat, or the cow will just try to swallow the apple whole.  It’s great if they can actually get the apple to their stomach without any trouble, but if the apple is bigger than the esophagus, it can cause some major issues.

The first call I had with this issue, was a small beef cow, which must have eaten a smaller apple. By the time I arrived, she had passed the apple on her own and had started to nibble on hay and drink some water.  She was started on some anti-inflammatory medicine to help with the soreness and any trauma the apple caused on its way down.  She was in a much better way than #100.

The approach that I take when I am faced with an animal choking is to first sedate the animal.  When an animal is choking, much like a human, they begin to panic and all their muscles, including the esophagus, will tense. With sedation, we hope that the animal will relax enough that we may be able to massage the obstruction down the esophagus, or when we pass a tube down the esophagus, we will be able to move the obstruction with the tube.
  
Once #100 was sedated, I took a firm tube and tried to move the apple down the esophagus. It wouldn’t budge.  Because the esophagus is a smooth muscle, and kind of an important muscle to have, it’s crucial not to be too forceful when trying to remove an obstruction, causing more damage. When the apple wouldn’t move with the gentle pressure of a tube, I went to my next plan- pumping water down her throat to try and “flush” the apple down, rather than adding more force.  As I was pumping the water in, she was spitting it right back up as fast as I was pumping it. After trying to pump 3-4 gallons of water down her, I decided it was a futile effort.  Now I’m not sure what I’m going to do… The poor cow was still coughing and trying to burp to get the apple up, and what I was doing was not working. 
Another view of the obstruction
 
I thought about pumping mineral oil down her throat, to "slide" the apple down, but because she was spitting up the water so forcefully, I was afraid she would do the same with the oil and possibly aspirate on the oil.  It’s pretty much a death sentence if she ended up aspirating oil.  And, even if we were able to move the apple down the esophagus further, because of the size of it, there was still a chance that the apple would lodge where the esophagus meets the stomach or somewhere in the esophagus where it passes through the chest cavity.  I didn’t see many good outcomes with this idea.

So, in my gut, I figured we were headed for surgery, but I wanted to bounce ideas off of another vet first, so I called another vet in the practice.   She was wondering if there was any way I would be able to put something down her throat to mash the apple up into smaller pieces so it would pass.  My concern was the trauma to the esophagus in trying to pass something  that would do the "mashing," and then what happens if we lose that down the throat too??????  She also suggested I try to reach down and grab it as someone pushes it back up to me.  Well I do have long arms, but they aren’t that long… And I kind of need them to do my job, so I wasn’t real keen on putting an arm down a cows mouth and have her, as a  natural reaction, bite down on it…..

So, now I’m back to surgery as my option.  Any other choke I have dealt with, cow or horse, I have been able to relieve the obstruction with all the aforementioned ideas, which means I have never actually done a surgery on a choke case.  Well one of the great things about veterinary medicine is that you learn to improvise, and you do so under duress.  I know how to do surgery, I mostly remember my anatomy- well at least the important things in the neck region; like the jugular vein, carotid artery,  and some pretty major nerves, so I’ve got it covered…..  Ha!
  
I tied the cows head up in the air so that I was working directly under her. After I clipped and washed the area, I blocked it with lidocaine and started my exploration.  Being careful not to cut through any major things, I took a great deal of time NOT using a scalpel, but rather using my fingers and scissors to dissect through the tissue.  Once I reached the esophagus, I was able to cut over the top of the apple and see that it indeed was an apple; a yellow-green one at that!
 
Now for my vet friends reading this, I know you aren’t supposed to cut directly over the obstruction, but based on location, I didn’t want to sway too far in either direction. So I went with it.
  
After a fair amount of work, using scissors and my fingers, I was able to get the apple removed from the esophagus. I could tell that #100 was feeling much better the minute I removed the apple because as she coughed, I had a face full of saliva and rumen juice spew out at me through my opened esophagus.  I sutured her closed and could tell that it was truly closed when I no longer had saliva coughed in my face.  I then sutured the muscle layers closed and then partially closed her skin, leaving a space for any drainage that may occur.  I was concerned about infection because it wasn’t a truly sterile procedure and I am not 100% sure I removed all apple chunks or rumen fluid that may have come through the opened esophagus when she coughed.
The culprit in pieces.
   
She was placed on an anti-inflammatory medicine and antibiotics. When I called to check on her the next day, the farmer said she had started to pick at some food but wasn’t eating with vim and vigor quite yet.  I can only imagine how sore her throat must be with having the apple stuck in there for who knows how long, and then me trying to get the apple to move with tubes, and finally the surgery. 

 I still worry about aspiration pneumonia, infection in the incision, as well as the esophagus forming a stricture at the point of my incision and suturing.  I am very fortunate in the fact that cows have an amazing ability to heal and surprise me every day with that ability.   This was certainly a new one for me.  I never did mention that #100 was due to have a baby in less than a month.  After all this, I really hope she will be able to have her baby and go on living a happy life AWAY from the apple trees!!!!

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this very important warning to us cow owners from your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AM SANDRA FROM CANADA, THANKS TO DR ONIHA WHO HELP ME BRING MY HUSBAND BACK, MY HUSBAND LEFT ME WITH THREE KIDS, FOR ANOTHER YOUNG GIRL, FOR OVER TWO YEARS, I TRIED ALL I COULD TO SETTLED OUR DIFFRENCES, BUT IT YIELDED NO RESULT, I WAS THE ONE TAKING CARE OF THE CHILDREN ALONE, UNTIL ONE DAY, I CAME IN CONTACT WITH SOME ARTICLES ONLINE, CONTAINING HOW DR ONIHA HAS HELP SO MANY LOVERS AND FAMILY REUNION AND REUNIT AGAIN, AND I DECIDED TO CONTACT HIM, AND HE CAST HIS SPELL ON MY HUSBAND, WITHIN FIVE DAYS, MY HUSBAND RAN BACK HOME, AND WAS BEGGING ME AND THE KIDS FOR FORGIVENESS, IN CASE YOU ARE PASSING THROUGH SIMILAR PROBLEMS, AND YOU WANTS TO CONTACT DR ONIHA, YOU CAN REACH HIM VIA HIS CONTACT NUMBER, ON CALL OR WHATSAP +2347089275769 OR EMAIL DRONIHASPELL@YAHOO.COM

      Delete
  2. So other than the choking hazard, apples are safe digestion and whatnot? I dont want to hurt a cow. I absolutely love them and want to see if I could give them a few apples slices as a treat

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about cut into tiny pieces as a treat from the kitchen ? My cow doesn't have access to the fruit trees but I was looking for info on if it is bad for them to have small cut up pieces prepared for them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy life ??? When she or her calf are separated and sent to get their throats cut against their will ...... and nothing they can do to defend themselves 🤬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you rather have it suffocate and die?

      Delete








  5. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346























    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three (3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster Dr Azuka have help a man to get back her wife and i gave him a reply to his email (dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com) and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 24 hours that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Azuka..or add him up on whats-app +44 7520 636249

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is always beautiful when you be with the true person you love. For almost a year my lover had broke up with me and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very little kind and Great spell caster called Dr Ralph who helped me to bring back my lover to me and today I am happy together and very grateful for what you have done for me, He can also help you cast spell like Love spells, Pregnancy spell, Lottery winning spell, Business improvement spell, Cure for any kind of sickness like :Cancer, diabetes, HIV/Aids E.T.C, Financial spell , And many more. . You can contact him on his Email him via Ralphspellsolution@gmail.com or whatsApp on. +2347037816417.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After being in relationship with my husband for years, he broke up with me. I did everything within my reach to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so badly because of the love I had for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back , I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster, and he assured me there was no problem and that everything will be okay before three days. He cast the spell and surprisingly on the second day, my husband called me. I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that had happened, That He wanted me to return to him. He also said he loved me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again, Contact Dr Azaka Today the great Spell caster that can help you with any relationship issues, You can add him up on WhatsApp +2349059389105 or email Via azakaspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349059389105
    Interesting to know that Dr Azaka also have solutions to problems like 
    1) Love Spells2) Lost Love Spells3) Divorce Spells4) Marriage Spells5) Binding Spell.6) Breakup Spells7) Banish a past Lover8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell9) want to satisfy your lover
    Thanks For Reading My Life Testimony

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I get back my ex-lover contact Dr Azaka for urgent and fast love spell via azakaspelltemple@gmail.com , I never believed in spell casting but After 6 years of dating my ex-lover she broke up with me, I still imagine how Dr Azaka brought my ex-lover back to me in just 48 hours. No one could have ever made me believe that there is a real spell caster that really works. Am from Seattle Washington, I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Azaka. He helped me recently to reunite my relationship with my ex-lover who left me, When I contacted Dr Azaka he cast a love spell for me and my ex-lover who said she doesn't have anything to do with me again called me and started begging me. She is back now with so much love and caring. today I am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the powers of bringing lovers back. because I am now happy with my lover, and the most surprising, is that our love is very strong, every day is happiness and joy. and there is nothing like been with the woman you love. I am so happy my love is back to me with the help of Dr Azaka if you have similar problem or you want to fix your broken relationship, stop divorce, get your ex back, get your divorce wife or husband back, I will advise you to contact him ,he is there to help you and put a smile on your face as he did to me and others. Contact him via Whatsapp +2349059389105 Or Email azakaspelltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is Valary West.I'm from Canada, My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behaviour from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through I am very happy today with my family. My name is West Valary  living in Canada, My husband left me for good 3 months now, and i love him so much, i have been looking for a way to get him back since then. i have tried many options but he did not come back, until i met a friend that darted me to Dr. Odumeje a spell caster, who helped me to bring back my husband after 48 hours. Me and my husband are living happily together today, That man is great, you can contact him via email odumejetemple@gmail. com… Now i will advice any serious persons that found themselves in this kind of problem to contact him now a fast solution without stress.. He always hello, now i call him my father. contact him now he is always online email odumejetemple@gmail.com or contact him on his whatsapp mobile line +2349012479806

    you can also contact me for more info about the DR here is my email. westvalary@gmail.com   

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
    (1) CANCER,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) CANCER,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA
    (10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL
    (11)COLD SORE
    HERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

    ReplyDelete
  12. Losing someone you love its like breaking your heart into two pieces,especially when you are deeply in love with that person.Love is an essential emotion and has Power to do everything happy and pleasant,but there came a time when i was abandoned by my husband who left me for another woman breaking our happy home apart.The same day Dr Okolo saved my life and gave me hope.I know many wont read this but that wont stop me from posting my life savior.Dr Okolo  helped me bring back my husband who was taken by another young woman.I was advised by my big sister to consult Dr Okolo via Email: drokolosolutioncenter@gmail.com who is a spiritual healer who brought my man back and cast out the voodoo spell from me and the poverty spell from my husband.we are now happy again in our relationship because my husband was promoted to being an assist manager in his campany.Am now happy with a baby boy because Priest blessed us because i couldn't get any baby because i was under a spell. for every one with the same problem Dr Okolo is there for your help.contact him via
    Email: drokolosolutioncenter@gmail.com or
    WhatsApp: +2347031895935
    Divorce spell
    Death Spell
    Success Spell
    Sickness Spell
    Pregnancy Spell
    Marriage Spell
    Job Spell
    Protection Spell

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi viewers, I'm posting this Because i found lots of people having marriage problems which I also experienced. I recently found help from a man called Dr. Oselumen he did a great job that made my man fell back in love with me again after ten months of separation. I want you to know there are fake online spell Dr .s if someone out there needs help, can email this great spell caster, droselumen@gmail. com check or connect with him on WhatsApp +2348054265852. He will give you the best result. 
    CONTACT HIM FOR ANY KIND OF HELP,MONEY SPELL,LOTTERY SPELL,PREGNANCY SPELL,DIVORCE SPELL,SPELL TO STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL,HEALING SPELL,SPELL TO REMOVE BLACK MAGIC OUT FROM YOUR LIFE,FAMILY AND MARRIAGE PROBLEM. 

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Dr OGEDEGBE for saving my broken Marriage. Dr OGEDEGBE is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, you can as well contact him for the following services, Death Spell, Lottery Spell, Promotion Spell, Goodluck Spell, Pregnancy Spell. etc Email him now today. Email him: dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com or  dr.ogedegbe6@yahoo.com whatsapp him via +2348109374702

    ReplyDelete