Thursday, December 5, 2013

Double the Fun

Yesterday, I performed two Cesarean sections (C-Sections). These were two cows that were pregnant with valuable embryos. There were 2 other cows also carrying embryos from the same mating that had already calved. Unfortunately for the cows carrying the first two embryos, these calves tended to be quite large and it was very traumatic for the cows and the calves, resulting in injury to the cow and death upon birth of the calf.  Knowing there were still two more cows yet to calve, we decided that maybe it would be best to perform C-sections on the cows rather than potentially losing the next two cows and/or calves. These cows were due within days, so we knew the calves would be large enough and developed enough to survive.

The only "pre-surgical" preparation that was needed was to give the cows each a dose of Dexamethasone about 24 hours prior to surgery. This is a steroid that is commonly used to induce cows that are beyond their due date. It is necessary to give the steroid even when performing a planned C-section because the lungs are the very last thing to be fully developed and functional at the time of birth. The injection of Dexamethasone to the cow, causes the production of the last components of the calf's fully functional lungs so that when the umbilical cord of the calf breaks, the calf is able to take a breath and take in oxygen via the lungs.

As with every surgery, the cow is sedated, clipped, sterile scrubbed and blocked (numbed) with Lidocaine. Luckily I had enough help with these two C-sections, we were able to have a photographer. So this is a post of pictures! I'll explain what we are doing where needed. Both surgeries went very smoothly and there were two happy, BIG, healthy girls born!
Opening the skin and muscle layers of the cow.



Moving the uterus from the right hand side of the cow to the incision.

Opening the uterus while my assistant holds the uterus at the incision.


Getting the head and legs of the calf out of the uterus.




Two other helpers pulling the calf up and out of the uterus.


Trying to get the large hips of the calf out without tearing the uterus.


The hole the calf just came out of.
The empty uterus before being sewn up.


Suturing the first layer of the uterus.



Suturing the second layer of the uterus. The uterus is closed in 2 layers to prevent leakage.

Washing, washing and washing the uterus.

More washing of the uterus. Need to get all "extra" stuff off to prevent scarring of the uterus and infection.

The uterus back in it's rightful place.

Closing the muscle layers of the cow.


Closing the skin of the cow.
Put back together!

Both cows were very good patients and stood very well during the entire procedure. Because the body was not yet prepared to have the baby, the placenta was still very strongly attached to the uterus, and I was not able to remove it. Both cows were started on antibiotics to prevent them from getting sick from the surgery or from the retained placenta. They will be checked again at their routine herd check on Friday to be sure they are on the right path to healing.  The calves were given 1 gallon of colostrum within 5 minutes of being born, an oral vaccination to prevent colonization of pathogenic E. Coli, and the umbilicus was dipped with 7% tincture iodine to prevent infection entering the body from the open umbilical stump. Both calves were already trying to stand up before I even had their mom sewn up!!!  C-sections are a bit harder on the cow than a natural birth, and require a longer recovery time. However, in this situation, based on the size of the calves, these C-sections were the right decision for both the cow and the calf!

The new addition to the farm!!!


20 comments:

  1. That was really cool! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how i win the lottery. I am a woman who believe that one day i will win the lottery.finally my dreams came through when i email PRIEST WISDOM  . and tell him i need the lottery numbers. i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never know that winning was so easy until the day i meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, so i decide to give it a try.I contacted this man and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out i was among winners. i won $1,000,000  Dollar. PRIEST WISDOM truly you are the best, with these man you can win millions of money through lottery. i am so very happy to meet these man, i will forever be grateful Email him Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com or WHATSAPP  or Call Via +2348124644470   BLOGSPOT : https://lotteryspellcaster1.blogspot.com/


















      i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how i win the lottery. I am a woman who believe that one day i will win the lottery.finally my dreams came through when i email PRIEST WISDOM  . and tell him i need the lottery numbers. i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never know that winning was so easy until the day i meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, so i decide to give it a try.I contacted this man and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out i was among winners. i won $1,000,000  Dollar. PRIEST WISDOM truly you are the best, with these man you can win millions of money through lottery. i am so very happy to meet these man, i will forever be grateful Email him Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com or WHATSAPP  or Call Via +2348124644470   BLOGSPOT : https://lotteryspellcaster1.blogspot.com/

      ...

      Delete
  2. Hi Carie! I'm a vet student from Brazil currently taking my placements in dairy cattle medicine in New Zealand. Thanks for sharing your clinical cases with lots of pictures and details. I will keep following your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about this E. coli vaccine for newborns. I have google it and I found a vaccine by Novartis (probably the same one that you have used). Quite interesting, probably there are preformed antibodies in this vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauro- The vaccine we use in the US is called Ecolizer. I'm not sure what the availability is worldwide! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Dear Carie, thanks for sharing your work. I'm interested in farm animals, and I found your posts really helpful. Can't wait to read all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this lesson, Mme. Telgen ! ...
    I'm writing from Azerbaijan ...Just now I have found Your blog and I am very impressed,..
    Unfortunately, we lost both our heifer and big calf today! No one of the vets around wanted to make c-section surgery! It's shameful! ..I had a terrible shock ...I am learning every day more and more info about calving! I want to gain own experience and hope one day I'll assist and have a newborn calf in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi it was very informative post. Thank you for sharing this information. Many who may have never visited a dairy farm must have thought, or at least asked once, how many stomachs do cows have? The explanation for that doubt is yes and a no the same time.

    how many stomachs does a cow have | how many stomachs do cows have

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will they naturally pass the placenta or will that just sit inside them??

    ReplyDelete
  8. did you think about grabbing out a bit of tasty steak before closing up? what do you think about harvesting meat without harming the animal? meat doesn't have to be murder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought about it, but since both the calf and the cow were just fine and healthy and went on to lead happy lives, I didn't. ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this post. I am very interested in this topic. Pet care, even when it's a ability that you just be taught by way of trial and error, would not need Brighton East vet to be as painstaking because it sounds. Learn on for just a few enjoyable pointers that may enable you to guarantee that your little furry associates will dwell a protracted and wholesome life.Shopping for a pet is not presupposed to be a spontaneous choice any greater than falling in love with somebody is.

    ReplyDelete








  11. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346























    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the
    help Dr  Sunny has rendered to me for  getting my Husband back with his
    spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because
    my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i
    came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to
    get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his
    help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my
    case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating
    because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a
    great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr
    Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are
    facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email {
    solutioncentre911@gmail.com } you can call Dr or whats app him via
    {+2349056393169} His Also specialize in the following illness,
    1) HIV/AIDS CURE
    2) Pregnancy SPELL
    3) HSV 1&2 CURE
    4) FIBROID CURE
    5) ALS CURE
    6) CANCER CURE
    7) BRAIN DISEASES CURE
    contact this great man if you have any problem for a lasting solution
    Through his email via { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } .

    ReplyDelete

  13. We offer personal loans up to $ 500,000, you are looking for a business loan and have been denied by a bank, we can help with loans of $ 5,000 to a maximum of $ 500,000 * that can help you get your business Rebuild and get you back Can bring you on a path to a better financial future.

    On time, you can apply in just a few minutes and get your money the same day.


    Do not delay! E-mail via {challotloan@gmail.com} or visit us at one of our sites to see how we can help.

    Thank you for contacting us,

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOW I WON £4,369,877.00 WITH DR ALLI LOTTERY MAGIC SPELL

    I am  SARA KIM From the UK...I had to write back and say what an amazing experience I had with Dr Alli's powerful lottery spell. My Heart is fill with joy and happiness after Dr Alli cast the Lottery spell for me, And i won £4,369,877.00 His spell change my life into riches, I'm now out of debts and experiencing the most amazing good luck with lottery after i won a huge amount of money. My life has really changed for good. I won (Four million three hundred and sixty nine thousand Eight hundred and seventy seven thousand pounds)Your Lottery spell is so real and pure. Thank you very much Dr. Alli for the lottery spell that changed my life”I am totally grateful for the lottery spell Dr Alli did for me. You can email him for your own lottery number,because these is the only secret to winning the lottery.
    Email him:  Allispellhelp1@gmail.com Whats App him: +2348100772528

    ReplyDelete
  15. HOW DR SUNNY HELP ME TO FIX MY BROKEN MARRIAGE WITHIN 40 HOURS CONTACT DR SUNNY VIA EMAIL:  SOLUTIONCENTRE911@GMAIL.COM

    Hello my name is Martha Keith, Am here to testify of a great and powerful spell caster named Dr Sunny, I was so confused and devastated when my Husband left me for another woman. I needed him back desperately because I loved him so much. So I contacted this great love spell caster for help. He helped me cast a return love spell on my husband and just within 40hours my husband came back to me begging for my forgiveness. Dr Sunny released him to know how much I loved and wanted him back. And He also opened his eyes to picture how much love we have shared together. As I am writing this testimony right now I am the happiest woman on earth. I want to recommend this great spell caster to anyone that truly needs an urgent solution to a love break up Email him at {solutioncentre911@gmail.com}   or via his whats-app: +2348119181253 Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. and reliable resource, looking forward to come again. Highly Recommended. bulk milk cooler

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete